Saturday, November 30, 2013

Allentown Symphony Hall, 24 Nov 2013

Allentown was the last tour stop before a 4 week break for Thanksgiving and some down time with families.  I knew from fan reports from the dates leading up to this one that it would be especially good, with new songs in the rotation and as usual, some surprises.  This, on top of what is already, in my humble opinion, the most energetic and fun live show out there!  So not only was I not disappointed, I found it to be arguably the best one I have seen.  Most definitely the  best show I've seen of the five that I've attended since the band reunited in June, 2012.

What I didn't know about the venue was that it has a long history, having been built in 1896 at the same time as my grandfathers were under construction :)  with 1200 seats on three levels, and great acoustics.

Miller Symphony Hall, Allentown, at sound check
 
Sound check was fun, with bits and pieces of the songs that would be performed that night, in a  completely relaxed atmosphere, plus an older one from Raul's "Today" solo album that was a nice warmup.  You can see from the interplay among the band members during "Pretend" and "Tequila" (not done during the show) that there is a nice comfort level, even on the part of the new trumpet player Tyler, who performed flawlessly in replacement of Quentin Ware.  Quentin, by the way, has moved on to other pursuits. Nice to see Raul's smile when Eddie came in with a melodic guitar part at the break in "The Wonder of You".   And it turned out to be a special treat because Eddie did not play on this one during the show later that evening. 
 
At sound check, tuning up "the instrument" didn't take long at all
 
 
Mockingbird Sun performed a great job as opening act, as they had for several dates in the Northeast, and did several excellent songs a cappella.
 
At about 8:20, "Zorba's Theme" started to play, and the Mavs took the stage to cheers.
 
I didn't keep track of the setlist, but I can tell from what's posted on Youtube and my own pics and videos that it included, in random order:
 
Back In Your Arms Again
As Long As There's Loving Tonight
Every Little Thing
The Wonder of You - solo Raul
Come Unto Me
I Said I Love You
Dance the Night Away
Pretend
Be My Guest (Fats Domino, first heard 10/8/13 at Tipitina's in New Orleans)
Never on Sunday
Boogie Shoes
From Hell to Paradise
All That Heaven Will Allow
One More Angel
In Another's Arms
Sinners and Saints
What A Crying Shame
Okie From Muskogee
La Bamba ---> Dance In the Moonlight
Moonlight Kiss - with great Elio Giordano solo on bass
All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down - rocking show closer with opening act Mockingbird Sun

 
I know I've missed a few in this 2 1/2 hour Mavsfest but that's most of 'em.
 
After everybody cooled off a little bit, most of the band came out to the lobby to say hello, take photos and sign, and just generally do what they do so well, which is give of themselves to their fans.  Jerry Dale had to take a pass as he had a very early flight home to see his family, but I think everyone else came out.  Here's a shot of the maestro working the crowd
 
 

 
Lest I forget, I want to insert a plug for the largest Mavericks fan group on the web, Mavericks Fans Unite.  It's over on Facebook and all of the concertgoers post lots of great content there:  photos, videos, reviews, setlists, historical artifacts - so go over and join up now or we will find you and... no, just kidding, it's voluntary.  But you know you want to.
 
Photo collection from that night
 
 
After Thanksgiving, Raul and Michael Guerra hit the road again for some solo shows, and then 3 more Mavs gigs in Louisiana and Texas, a Christmas break, the Delbert McClinton Sandy Beaches Cruise, and the tour resumes in early 2014.
 
And on December 8, 2014, happy 25th anniversary to the Mavericks




No comments:

Post a Comment